<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Me, my boss and my MS 

I have a really great relationship with my boss. It didn't start out that way. I chose not to disclose my illness during my interview - it's my right. After I was hired and I revealed my illness, she didn't respond appropriately. She came across as angry and expressed fears that I would not be able to do my job because of my fatigue. She was also ignorant of what MS was and responded in a knee-jerk reaction way. I went home after our first meeting about it in tears. At first I thought I was going to have to quit but things eventually worked out. I'm not one to hold grudges and my boss is very likable despite the rocky start.

Sadly, she is now leaving the company to pursue loftier ambitions. I'm happy for her but sad for me - sad and apprehensive. My boss knew just about everything about my complex medical condition. If I needed to take time off for five days of medical testing and doctor appointments she didn't bat an eye. I'll have re-train my new boss. I'll have to endure that extremely awkward moment when I say, "I have MS and I need special accommodations." My boss also knows about my endometriosis and the fact that I have to have surgery every few years and that my condition causes it's own unique set of challenges. If they hire a male to replace my boss it will be even more awkward for me. I dread the coming months.

Labels:


Comments:
I think the fact that you were able to train your current boss will help with whatever new boss they throw at you. Still, I hope the hire someone with compassion and understanding.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Counters