<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, June 13, 2008

Isolation 

Have you ever had an MRI? It's like being stuffed into a sausage casing. After being immobilized and stuffed next comes the metal garbage can/spoon banging sounds. It sounds and feels like someone is actually hitting a garbage can with a spoon - over your head. Then to add insult to injury, if you're really lucky (like me) you get hooked up to an IV so they can inject you with a very cold contrast solution so that your lesions and tumors sparkle like fireworks on the fourth of July. This is how I spent my Monday - two long hours. I have a love hate relationship with the MRI. If it wasn't for the MRI they would have never found that brain tumor or the MS lesions but the process leaves me feeling utterly depleted and depressed. It's an extremely lonely experience when you're in there with nothing but your thoughts. The room is very cold, no matter how many blankets they pile on, it never seems to be enough. The unnatural sounds, the icy, white, sterile atmosphere, cold bright lights, arm throbbing from the needle, wedged and floating in the tube centered alone in the middle of the room, how can I feel anything but isolated.

Comments:
Have you ever asked the tech for a copy of your MRI? They can give it to you on a CD or DVD. You have to install a little program to see it but then you can see your own body. I made art out of the MRI images from my right foot.
 
No I haven't but now that you mention it I will ask for it. I would like to see my brains...braaains...BRAAAAINS...MORE BRAAAAAINS!!!! Woops, sorry.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Counters