<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Death of Halloween 

I had a lot of trick or treaters come to the house. They seemed so disingenuous this year, no enthusiasm. There was a distinct lack of glee. I was troubled when some forgot to even say trick or treat. Maybe with this brave new world of ours the old fashioned holidays are going the way of the horse and buggy. There doesn't seem to be any room left for an innocent love of make believe, gore and treats. How can a child get excited over treats when parents give their fat little children anything they want and allow them to trade in imagination for plastic Target costumes of fluffy cartoon characters? I believe I witnessed the genuine death of a holiday last night. Maybe two hundred years from now (if we haven't destroyed ourselves completely) there will be a renewed interest in "ancient" holiday traditions but alas as the world that I know changes so does my favorite holiday.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Counters